|Fresh Chickpeas being Harvested. Normally 2 seeds per Pod.|
- Mature dried chickpeas can be ground into flour, ground and shaped into balls and fried as falafel. This is commonly used in Syria and Lebanon.
- Chickpea flour is known as gram flour or besan in South Asia and used frequently in Asian cooking.
- In Portugal, they are one of the main ingredients in rancho, eaten with pasta and meat, including Portuguese sausages, or with rice.
- In Spain, they are used cold in tapas and salads, as well as in cocido madrileño.
- In Italy, chickpeas are eaten with pasta or in soup. In southern Italy, chickpea flour is made into a batter for panella, a sort of crepe.
- In Egypt, chickpeas are used as a topping for kushari.
- In the Philippines, chickpeas preserved in syrup are eaten as sweets and in desserts such as halo-halo.
- And just for fun some varieties of chickpeas can be popped and eaten like popcorn.
- The chickpea-derived liquid can be used as an egg white replacement to make meringue.
|Rustic Chickpea Salad recipe in Our Galley's Salad Ebook Recipe Ebooks|